Manager, Student Records
Job ID 25638BR Date posted 09/11/2017 Institution Kendall College City Chicago
Working in the Office of Records, the Student Records Manager is a key contributor in creating an inspiring student-centered experience by supporting the Director of Admissions & Records and Student Records team in setting the strategic direction. The Student Records Manager will manage all functions associated with the Academic Catalog, course scheduling, course registration, new program and curriculum set up in the student information system (SIS), student records and record retention, grades, degree validation, degree audit, enrollment reports and verification, and compliance with academic policies, including FERPA regulations. The Student Records Manager also promotes an efficient and effective office that serves students, faculty and colleagues with the highest quality. Our goal is to provide quality Student Records Management services, while complying with ethical and legal guidelines to the staff, faculty, students, former students, and others in a spirit of accuracy and excellence. We meet this goal through dedication, responsibility, understanding, and caring.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Train, support, and manage a team of 2 Records Specialists and 1-2 Student Workers.
- Support the Records Team in managing cases and problems, by dealing with correspondence, complaints and queries.
- Assist the Director of Admissions & Records in daily activities that include but are not limited to course scheduling, course registration, new program and curriculum set up in the student information system (SIS), student records, end of term grades, degree validation, degree audit, enrollment reports, and external compliance with academic policies and FERPA regulations.
- Advise Director of Admissions and Records on a wide range of moderately complex records and data management issues.
- Support the College and Director of Admissions & Records in managing seamless term starts.
- Recommend and initiate changes in operational procedure to optimize efficiency in the Office of Student Records, which includes working taking feedback from constituents and incorporating it into revised policy and procedure.
- Work in partnership with the Director of Admissions & Student Records to establish and maintain academic programs; includes setting course numbers and titles, course descriptions as well as credits and grading schemes and degree plans.
- Complete term-specific tasks and reporting and communicate to staff, faculty, and campus leadership as appropriate; individual follow-up may be necessary to resolve specific issues.
- Ensure the integrity of the college transcript and student academic records including registration activity, enrollment status and student course grades.
- Perform both external and internal enrollment reporting regularly
- Collaborate with other student service departments, academics, and IT to support design and implementation of creative solutions to support student experience goals and new curriculum rollout.
- Monitor policies governing privacy and disclosure of information from Student Records (FERPA).
- Represent the Office of the Admissions and Records as needed at operational meetings.
- Perform key functions for annual Commencement ceremony and participate on College committees as desired and/or assigned.
- While rare, some nights and weekends may be required in heavy volume periods.
TECHNICAL, MANAGERIAL, and PEOPLE SKILLS REQUIRED
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Incumbents will be evaluated, in part, based on performance of each essential function. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to professionally communicate with many constituent groups including prospective students, current students, alumni, faculty, administration, and staff.
- Student Information System (SIS) experience preferred. Banner experience a plus+
- Must have a high degree of accuracy with data entry.
- Record of successfully assuming leadership role with peers and/or supervisees.
- Good problem solving and conflict resolution abilities.
- Ability to prioritize work, multi-task, set and meet deadlines.
- Strong writing and proof reading skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication, interpersonal and organization skills.
- Be proficient with the use of Excel and multiple databases, including MS Office, as well as be comfortable with the organization and manipulation of data.
- Ability to focus while managing interruptions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree (Master's preferred) in management, higher education or a related field is required with a minimum of three (3) years’ experience related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- Successful experience in a systems and customer service environment.
- Experience in college registrar's or record's environment preferred.
- At least 2 years of direct supervisory experience required
To access the electronic version of the Annual Security Report/Annual Fire Report click here for the current p d f version of the ASR