Student Success Advisor
APPLY NOW Job ID 49241BR Date posted 10/07/2020 Institution Walden University City Columbia
Student Success Advisors facilitate student success by defining and implementing proactive strategies that help students stay on track to fulfill their educational goals. Advisors build supportive and personalized relationships with students, manage their day-to-day expectations, and provide them with opportunities to stay connected to our online community. They advise students on university policies and procedures, program and degree requirements, and related academic matters; and work closely with other university support teams to ensure that student inquiries are addressed in a timely and effective manner.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as the primary guide to ensure that students stay on track to meet their educational goals.
- Connect with new students upon acceptance of admission to ensure overall readiness and escalate outstanding matters that would affect their ability to have a smooth and successful start.
- Assist students in understanding and completing degree requirements.
- Assist students with appropriate course registration.
- Advise students on university policies and procedures, program requirements and related academic matters.
- Provide comprehensive outreach to students who are at risk of not meeting satisfactory academic progress.
- Closely monitor students to proactively identify at-risk scenarios and identify opportunities to develop, implement, measure and improve academic success strategies.
- Work closely with university staff to ensure that student inquiries are strategically coordinated and addressed in a timely manner, while supporting academic integrity and University policies.
- Cognitively guide students to develop accountability for their decisions and an understanding of how those decisions impact their success.
- Provide students with proactive guidance on acclimating to their new graduate lifestyle and building supportive personal environments and best practices to facilitate their student success.
- Empower students to maintain effective connections to the University and its online community of learners.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience working in a service-oriented environment or university setting.
- Master’s degree required.
- Must have a strong commitment to education and have the counseling or coaching skills required to effectively keep online students on track.
- Strong problem solving and time management skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to successfully resolve student issues from request through resolution.
- Effectively work with multiple databases and student platforms.
- Skilled at connecting and building rapport with students from diverse backgrounds.
- Creative, innovative, able to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to adapt to new and rapidly changing situations.
- Familiarity with online learning and Internet technology a plus.
Our goal is to have a diverse workforce that is representative of our students and our communities. Laureate is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring based upon merit. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform with or without reasonable accommodations. We do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. Pursuant to Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Walden University is required not to discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational program or activities, and does not do so. This prohibition extends to admissions and employment. For more information on Walden University’s Title IX policy, including the application of Title IX, please click here.