Public Relations Manager (Virtual)
APPLY NOW Job ID 51826BR Date posted 04/27/2021 Institution Walden University City Virtual
Public Relations Manager
Walden University is looking for a passionate and highly driven Public Relations Manager with expert media relations, strategic communications, and writing skills. The PR Manager will be a creative, outside-the-box thinker who can develop short and long-term strategies and tactics to promote Walden University thought leadership, faculty, staff, students, and alumni.
The PR Manager will leverage existing media and influencer relationships and cultivate new contacts across a variety of sectors in national, niche, and local media. The publicist should possess expert writing and storytelling skills and have a deep understanding of breaking news, engaging content and pitches, and social media trends.
This position requires someone with extensive writing experience, developing such content as, but not limited to, messaging, pitches, media lists, press releases, contributed articles, op-eds, blog posts and more. The PR Manager will also support the team with proactive thought leadership opportunities such as blogging, social media, identifying speaking engagement/award opportunities, events, leveraging and conducting research, etc.
- Develop and lead public relations and communications strategies and tactics
- Create engaging pitches for the media and bloggers and acquire positive media hits
- Cultivate strong relationships with national, niche, and local media and bloggers/influencers
- Proactively respond to reporter inquiries, ProfNets, and HAROs
- Develop targeted media lists and relevant pitches for breaking news, trending news, and engaging stories and research
- Draft a variety of PR and communications materials, including, but not limited to, press materials, messaging, press releases/advisories, media relations pitches, media lists, media backgrounders, contributed articles, op-eds, blog posts and more
- Monitor daily news utilizing media monitoring services
- Manage ongoing reporting and analysis for PR-related deliverables
- Assist with day-to-day management of PR, communications, and content marketing strategies
- Work collaboratively with the PR team and across departments to develop and ensure activities are aligned with the university’s strategic focus and business priorities
Education and Experience:
- Hold at minimum a bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, or a related relevant degree
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant PR experience required
- PR agency and higher education PR experience highly desired
- Experience with Cision or other media relations software desired
- Outstanding writing and editing experience and knowledge of AP style required
- Strong experience working with national, local, and niche media and influential bloggers
- Must possess strong abilities and expertise in developing, executing, and leading public relations strategies and tactics
- Have strong skills in project management, time management, and developing and facilitating presentations and meetings
- Must be a great listener, collaborator, and influencer
- Possess a high level of enthusiasm and function well in a team-driven and highly dynamic environment
Our goal is to have a diverse workforce that is representative of our students and our communities. Laureate is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring based upon merit. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform with or without reasonable accommodations. We do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. Pursuant to Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Walden University is required not to discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational program or activities, and does not do so. This prohibition extends to admissions and employment. For more information on Walden University’s Title IX policy, including the application of Title IX, please click here.